XLT 1200 Engine work - HELP!! - Yamaha Forums
Welcome to the unofficial Yamaha Forums community! Please Register to gain full access and remove the Ads! it's FREE!    
Yamaha Forum
Yamaha Forums
Go Back   Yamaha Forums > Other Yamaha Toys Forums > Waverunners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #1

Exclamation XLT 1200 Engine work - HELP!!

hello everyone,

I have an MINT/SHOWROOM Conditions 2000 XLT1200 Limited with 63 hrs on it that the oil line fell in Cylinder #1 and its now the piston and cylinder are messed up. Needless to say I need to replace at least the piston, cylinder sleeve, and god knows what else... I do however have perfect compression on the other 2 cylinders.

I'm VERY mechanically inclined (FAA Certified A&P mechanic and Electrical Engineer-BSEE by trait) but have never torn a 2 stroke engine before...

My question is-

- Is there a detailed/complete step-by-step procedure anywhere here or anywhere from start to finish?

- what should I expect?

- what all/else should I do while I'm there (i.e- replacing other piston rings, etc)

- I know some of you are going to reccomend me doing the Oil Pump block of kit and do away with the oil injector (which is why I'm in this situation to beguin with) but I'd really like to keep it 100% factory and not have to pre-mix. Any thoughts/comments on this?

- And finally I DO NOT want to have anyone other than my self working on my boat in my garage. I've had a really bad experience in the past with 'mechanics' promising the boat to be ready in 3-4 weeks but yet it ends up 10-12+ weeks and also charging me for "a whole new engine" where it only needs something very simple". You know the kind...

I should add- I do have the OEM Shop Manual hard copy for this boat and it does have a lot of details but is very combersome to use and it does NOT show/teach you the unexpected...

As always, I appreciate everyone's time, comments, suggestions and help with this.

JetPilot

-
jetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Ride: gp1300r,fzr, gprxp

it simple tear it apart its a 2 stoke there is (no valves ) (no head) literally take the stinger off and pop the head off the (its going to come off all 3 cyl.) but the cylinders are individual !!! slap on the piston and rings and assemble it back and your good to goo !!! if the other cyl have good comp then you good dont even touch them
alexabreu86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #3

i suggest you do the block off kit beacuse those oil pups fail alot and there is no way of knowing that it failed until you blow it up!!! the oi sensor that it has is for the resovoir not for the engine it only tells you when the tank is empty
alexabreu86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement